Having trouble with Fortnite lag? You’re not the only one. Thankfully, we have the perfect solution to resolve your problem. We’ll explain what it is, why it happens, and how to resolve it so you can get back to enjoyable gaming.
Gamers usually experience issues like lagging or slowness during gameplay, and unlike other online video games, lag is usually a result of several things like abnormality in your gaming rig and internet connection.
Before you resolve a lag in the Fortnite game, you need to know where it stems from, and this discovery can be a daunting task.
Fortnite Lag Causes
As stated, your internet connection and gaming rig can together cause the lag you’re experiencing while playing Fortnite so you need to make sure it isn’t because of your PC first. This means you need to know the system requirements for playing Fortnite.
There are two system requirement types that show the least and recommended specifications for your game to run optimally. These include:
- Processor Core i5 that runs 2.8GHz
- 8GB memory
- NVidia GTX 970/AMD R9 390 or higher
- 20GB storage
- Windows 10 64-bit
The next thing to check is your graphic settings, which requires an optimized PC to attain the best possible performance. To check this, do the following:
- Open graphics settings and click Settings
- Find Fortnite (if it isn’t there, add it to your list of programs)
- Set maximum pre-rendered frames value to 1
- Select GPU acceleration
- Click Single Display performance
- Set power to Maximum performance
- Deselect the Vertical Sync box
- Turn on Threaded Optimization and set the highest Refresh rate available
If you’re getting Fortnite lag owing to FPS lag, do this:
- Download FPS pack
- Copy everything in the Game Files folder
- Search for %localappdata% in the search bar
- Go to FortniteGame/Saved/Config/WindowsClient
- Paste the files copied from Game Files folder
- Find FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe in Fortnite game folder.
- Right-click and select properties
- Under compatibility, check the Override high DPI scaling behavior and disable Full-Screen Optimization
Fix Fortnite Lag
Launch commands to fix spikes
- Open Epic Games launcher
- Click Settings
- Check Additional Command Line Arguments
- Paste the content from Launch Options.txt file from the file downloaded
Change Matchmaking region
Poor network settings or connection is a major cause of Fortnite lag. In this case, change your matchmaking region by doing this:
- Open Fortnite
- Click Settings>Advanced Settings>Matchmaking Region. Here you can limit your network to pick games based on region only, and pick the closest region to you, which helps you get the lowest ping and minimum lag.
If none of these works, get support from Epic Games.
Elsie is a tech writer with 8+ years professional experience. For Tech News Watch, she brings rich experience contributing to topics such as Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS among others. In her spare time, she loves checking out the latest tech trends, gadgets, and news, listening to music and cars.