Two months from now we will see the new iPhone released by Apple, iPhone XL (or iPhone 11/ iPhone X Plus). The new device will have a 6.5 inches screen, a big one from Apple now, and even if we are two months apart from seeing it and touching it, the features of the phone are known only thru rumors. Also, it could be a possibility that Apple will launch three phones in 2019, that will feature two OLED displays and one LCD screen.
How Would the Three Models Be?
Apple wants to make it in the Chinese market, so the company plans to produce affordable iPhones but with a bigger screen. The first model will be a second version of the iPhone Plus X, with a 5.8 inches OLED display. The second model will be precisely the iPhone X Plus model, but with the prominent display (6.5 inches OLED); and the third model will have a 6.1 inches LCD. The first two models will have a price similar to the iPhone X, and the last one will have a reasonable price too.
Rumors about the new iPhone XL
- Display and Size – the rumors are saying that the upcoming iPhone XL will have three models, where two will be with OLED displays, and one with an LCD. Their sizes will be 5.8 inches, 6.5 inches, and 6.1 inches. The LCDs used on iPhones are coming from Japan Display, which is as good as an OLED screen, but much cheaper. It is even rumored that Japan Display is producing LCDs for Apple’s orders.
- Colors – Ming Chi Kuo has revealed that the 6.5 inches model will have black, white, and possibly gold as the case color, and the 6.1 LCD model could have gray, white, blue, red, and orange as a case color. Rumors also say that the material used at the Apple Watch Series 2 will be the same used for the iPhone XL.
- Design – besides the three sizes of the new iPhone XL, rumors are showing that all the cameras will come with the full-screen design too, because if the edge to edge screen display. The design for all the three models is similar, excepting the size, of course, and the fact that a single back camera sensor will be on the 6.1 inches LDC iPhone.
- Specs – iPhone XL will have the latest A series processor (the A12 chipset), 4 GB of RAM, dual lens back cameras, and a bigger battery for the bigger model. Dual-Sim support for the overseas markets, improved LTE chips from Qualcomm and Intel.
- Connectivity Options and Smart Connector – an Israel blog says that Apple will bring the Smart Connector to the iPhone XL as the iPad Pro 2015 has. Lightning Port will help you charge your phone and to connect with the AR accessories. But this is not all; rumors are stating that Apple’s Lightning to 3.5 mm for headphones jack will not be included in the pack for 2019.
- The Display will come with ProMotion – it is not sure yet, but a small possibility could be that Apple will introduce the ProMotion technology to the 2019 iPhones. The ProMotion displays are offering a refresh rate about 120 times in a second for a smoother experience.
- Waterproof or Water Resistant? – We know that iPhone X has an IP67 rating, which means it’s water resistant and you could put it in the water at 1-meter depth. But the new iPhone XL could have an IP68 rating, which means it can be put in 1.5 meters of water for about 40 minutes.
- A slower device – Apple plans to use Intel processor and not from Qualcomm. From many tests, Qualcomm has been faster than Intel, so if this happens, the new generations of iPhones will be slower.
- Price of iPhone XL – analyst Ming Chi Kuo says that the 5.8 inches model will be around $700 or $800, while the 6.1 inches will be priced between $600 and $700. The iPhone with 6.5 inches display will cost about $999.
- The release date of iPhone XL – if we take a look at the period in which Apple has released its devices, we could think that the same pattern will be applied and somewhere in September, we will have the new iPhone XL.
Nicholas Jacob is just at the beginning of his career, but he has also had some of his work appear in publications like Android Authority or Digital Overload. Although earning a degree in business from Fordham University, Nicholas prefers to write about new technology and breakthroughs in science. Some of his favorite pastimes are digital drawing, watching TV series, and writing on his blog. He is always eager about the new gadgets on the market and likes to cover updates on software.