Since Xiaomi announced the global version of MIUI 12 back in May 2020, the company has been hard at work, rolling out this custom Android skin to eligible devices. We have a dedicated tracker to keep tabs on that rollout here.
As expected, a good number of Xiaomi’s recent devices are in line for, or have already bagged this update that promises a more fluid user experience and an improved user interface among many other new features.
One such device is the Redmi Note 9. Launched back in May 2020, this device is powered by the gaming-centric MediaTek Helio G85 paired with 3/4GB RAM and a massive 5020mAh battery. All-in-all, a well balanced mid-range device even in 2020.
The device came with Android 10 out of the box with Xiaomi’s own MIUI 11 on top and has already been updated to MIUI 12 in some regions. We have already seen the Chinese (Redmi 10X 4G), Global and the European variants of the device getting this update.
Today, Xiaomi is finally rolling out MIUI 12 to the Redmi Note 9 in India. Like the other variants, this update brings with it most of the features we expect with MIUI 12. While we don’t have this device’s specific changelog, below is a list of what’s new in MIUI 12.
– MIUI 12. Yours alone.
– New: All-new physically-based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
– New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
– Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
– Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
– New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
– New: Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
– New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
– New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
– New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
– New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
– New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
– New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
– New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
– New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy.
– Optimization: Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
AI Call Assistant
– New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
– New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
– New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
– New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
– New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
– New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
– New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
– New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
– New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
– New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
– New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
– New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
– New: You can track your previous trips now.
– New: Checklists for trips.
– New: Alarms for train arrivals.
Mi Carrier Services
– New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
– New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
– New: Buy SIM cards and services.
– New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
Status bar, Notification shade
– New: All-new design.
– New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
– New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
– New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
– New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
– New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
– New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
– New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
– New: You can create folders with notes now.
– New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
– New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
– New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
– New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
– New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
– New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
– New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
– Some features might not be available on this device. Visit www.miui.com to learn more about MIUI 12.
This update should be rolling out to eligible devices as an OTA and as such, users should wait for that to show up on their device’s Update Manager. However, below is the download link should you want to manually install it on your device.
- Device: Redmi Note 9
- Codename: merlin
- Channel: India Stable
- Version: V22.214.171.124.QJOINXM
- Android: 10
- Type: Recovery
- Download: Link
- Type: Recovery
With this rollout, all eyes now move to the Indonesian variant of the Redmi Note 9 whose update to MIUI 12 is set to go live sometime later this month.
NOTE: We have these and many more Xiaomi stories in our dedicated Xiaomi section.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.
The post Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 MIUI 12 update rolling out in India (Download link inside) appeared first on PiunikaWeb.
Dorothy has been a journalist for ten years and has been working with the Tech News Watch staff since the beginning of the news site. Her main contribution to Tech News Watch are mobile, IT and science news, with a focus on software updates and great outer space discoveries.