Those who have a PocketPC or a smartphone and aren’t fans of Internet Explorer have two solid options for a web browser from Opera: Opera Mobile and Opera Mini, but finding out which one is right for a specific user can be a difficult task.
Opera Mobile is built for Pocket PCs, smartphones and other similar devices. It is a strong browser, featuring lots of features like full support of secure websites.
Opera Mini is a Java browser designed for cell phones without access to a full (traditional) website but it isn’t a very good choice for secure websites. It offers some advantages over Opera Mobile that might convince some people to switch browsers.
Advantages: Opera Mobile
- Opera Mobile makes web navigation easy, featuring a standardized interface.
- When viewing a page, users can utilize the menu to zoom in up to 200% or zoom out until the page is 25% of the original size.
- Users can have multiple tabs open at once
- Opera Mobile supports secure pages, definitely superior to Opera Mini.
Advantages: Opera Mini
- Opera Mini works different than most browsers: it sends a request to the Opera servers, which download the page, compress it and send it back to the user’s device and this leads to increased performance.
- The Opera Servers optimize web pages to display them on mobile devices, meaning that some pages will look better on Opera mini than on Opera Mobile or other browsers.
- Opera Mini only features two phases of zoom: regular and zoomed in, but toggling between them is done with a light tap on the screen, making it quicker to use.
- Such advantages are notable especially when users are accessing a non-mobile website.
It is up to the end user to decide which of the two suits them best, it’s better to try them both and then make a choice as they are both extremely good browsers.
Dorothy has been a journalist for ten years and has been working with the Tech News Watch staff since the beginning of the news site. Her main contribution to Tech News Watch are mobile, IT and science news, with a focus on software updates and great outer space discoveries.